And that is exactly how I feel every Saturday/Sunday depending on my schedule. Wash day is a whole day kinda thing. 😥
The longer and thicker my hair gets, the more annoying washing it gets. I actually do miss my twa (teeny weeny afro) 1 hour max and you let it just dry out. Now, 5 hours of dealing with it. Yes, 5 hours and I shall break it down for you.
- Step 1; I detangle using a wide-tooth comb and lots and lots of water. My hair is really thick and extremely coily so I cannot attempt to manipulate it when dry, I’ll just end up breaking it. After detangling, I put it into 8 twists. 4 in the back and 4 in the front. 15 – 30 minutes spent on detangling.
- Step 2; I apply a prepoo treatment which is just a mixture of 3 oils; Castor Oil, Olive Oil & Eucalyptus Oil. Prepoo treatments protect the hair from the harsh effects of shampoos. I then put on a plastic cup and leave it on for 30 minutes. Excuse the empty bottles, just run out.
- Step 3; I rinse out the oil while my hair is still in the 8 twists. It’s easier for me to wash my hair in twists other than when it is open. I use the Suave Naturals Shampoo and a little does go a long way. I’ll do one or two rounds depending on how much build up I have. I will then follow that up with Suave Naturals Conditioner and let that sit in my hair for 5 minutes. Shampoo & Conditioning takes about 30 minutes.
- Step 4; With the conditioner completely rinsed out of my hair. I’ll put Parnevu Hair Mayonnaise, this acts as my deep conditioner. I’ll put a plastic cup on and leave that for 30 minutes. The hit generated from my scalp will be trapped by the plastic cup allowing the treatment to penetrate my hair strands.
- Step 5; Thoroughly rinse out the deep conditioner and at this point my hair is super, super soft and my curls are popping, you’ll just find me staring at myself in the mirror and playing with my hair. I’ll then squeeze out the water from my hair and it being in twists helps a lot. After that I grab a cotton t-shirt, any cotton t-shirt will do, even that one you stole from your boyfriend/girlfriend 😉 and tie it on my head and let it do it’s thing. I let my hair dry in the t-shirt for one to two hours.
Step 6; Depending on my mood, I’ll either do a twist out, braid out, flat twist out or let it dry overnight in chunky stretched braids so I can do a protective style. As I style it, I’ll apply my Creme of Nature Argan Oil leave-in conditioner, a moisturiser and olive oil to seal in all the moisture. The Organics Carrot Oil acts as my moisturiser.
Styling takes about an hour as I like to do small to medium sections.
And that is my lovely weekly wash day.
P.S: Sorry for the lack of hair photos, I totally forgot to take, but you shall get them with my next post on my hair type and all that juicy stuff. 🙂 🙂 🙂
Hope you enjoyed.